FH Bielefeld
University of
Applied Sciences

Applying With Certificates Issued Abroad

Thank you for your interest in studying at Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences!

With the information on this page, we would like to guide you through your application and accompany you on your way to our university. If you have any questions, we will be happy to advise you!

Can I study in Germany with my certificates that have been issued abroad?

The final examination of your documents will only take place during the application process. However, we recommend that you check the admission database of the DAAD in advance. It will help you find out easily whether you are entitled to studying your desired subject at a German university or whether you may have to attend a preparatory course (Studienkolleg) first.

The anabin online database also provides you with more detailed information on the assessment of foreign degrees and the conversion of grades.

Which language skills do I have to provide proof of?

In order to successfully study at Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences, German language skills are a must. Courses (lectures, exercises and seminars) are usually held in German. Unfortunately, we do not offer any study programmes that are solely taught in English.

We accept the following language certificates:

  • “TestDaF” examination with at least 16 credit points (i.e. four credit points per partial examination),
  • “Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang” (DSH) with a minimum level of 2,
  • “telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule,”
  • Passed German examination within the admission examination for a preparatory course (Studienkolleg),
  • C1 examination of the Goethe Institute,
  • Proof of graduation in German Philology at a university abroad or
  • At least 10 years of attending school in Germany.

An exception is made for the study programmes from the Faculty of Design, which require only a level of B2 (CEFR) in German.


Language courses at Bielefeld UAS

If you already have German skills at B1 or B2 level, you can be enrolled as a language course student at Bielefeld UAS. Preparatory language courses are held by the Bielefeld-based language institute bibis in cooperation with Bielefeld University and TH OWL. The application for the language course is processed via uni-assist.

This matriculation is possible for a maximum of two semesters. You will have to bear the costs for the language course yourself.

Please find further information on the language course on the bibis website.

The International Office offers additional courses for refugees.

How do I apply for a bachelor’s degree study?

Bachelor’s degree studies with open admission

For all bachelor’s degree studies with open admission, applications are processed via uni-assist.
Please refer to the respective study programme page for information on whether the study programme you have chosen has any admission restrictions.

To the uni-assist application portal

You will find further information on uni-assist here.

This does not apply if you hold German nationality and your foreign degree has been certified as equivalent by the Düsseldorf regional government, if you have already completed a degree in Germany or if you can prove that you have obtained the Abitur at one of the approx. 140 recognised German schools abroad. In these cases, please apply directly via the application portal of Bielefeld UAS.


Bachelor’s degree studies with restricted admission

In the case of bachelor’s degree studies with restricted admission, an application via the application portal of Bielefeld UAS is possible in the following cases. You will find more detailed information and a checklist of the necessary documents for proof in the download area on the left.

  1. You are a citizen of an EU or EEA country (all member states of the European Union plus Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway).
  2. You live in Germany, at least one of your parents is a citizen of an EU or EEA country and works in Germany or has worked in Germany.
  3. You live in Germany, your spouse or registered partner is a citizen of an EU or EEA country and currently works in Germany.
  4. You have already completed a degree in Germany.
  5. You have attended a German school abroad and have obtained a German university entrance qualification there.

Continue to the application


If none of the above applies to you, please apply via uni-assist:

To the uni-assist application portal

You will find further information on uni-assist here.


How do I apply for a master’s degree study?

For all master’s degree studies, you can apply via uni-assist, provided that the first bachelor’s degree that qualifies you for the master’s degree study of your choice has been obtained abroad.

This rule applies regardless of your nationality. It is not necessary for the regional government to recognise your degree obtained abroad.

To the uni-assist application portal

You will find further information on uni-assist here.

How do I apply for a higher study semester?

Application for a higher semester is currently not possible with qualifications obtained abroad. You need to apply for the first study semester as a rule. After successful examination and admission for the study programme of your choice, you can apply for recognition of credits you have acquired in Germany or abroad and apply to be upgraded to a higher semester.

The same applies if you are already studying at a German university and would like to change over to our university.

How do I apply via uni-assist?

Uni-assist e.V. will examine for Bielefeld UAS whether your certificates issued abroad meet the requirements of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZaB) of the German Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs and are sufficient for university entrance.

If you have already used uni-assist to successfully apply to Bielefeld UAS within the last two years, please contact us within the currently valid application periods; you may not need to apply again.

If you are applying for the first time, follow the instructions step by step:

  1. First, you create your own profile at uni-assist and select the study programme of your choice.
  2. Then you can upload your documents online:

    -         University entrance certificate

    -         Certificates of academic achievements or degrees you have already obtained

    -          Proof of language skills

The application is purely online. According to the study programme you apply for, further documents may be necessary. You will be informed about that separately in the application portal.

Important: You will need a certified translation of any documents that have not been drawn up in German or English. Please also note the processing fees charged by uni-assist.

If you have any questions or problems with the assessment of your documents, please do not hesitate to contact uni-assist’s service team

  1. Uni-assist will automatically forward your application documents to us if the examination is successful. Therefore, you will not have to apply to us directly.

Important: If you need a student visa for travelling to Germany, you will be able to apply for it with the message from uni-assist that your application has been forwarded to us.

  1. As soon as we have received your application via uni-assist, you will receive an e-mail with further information. Depending on the study programme, participation in an admission procedure or the examination of your application documents by a selection committee may be required. We will keep you informed about the current status of your application in a transparent way.
  2. If admitted, you will receive login data to the application portal of the Bielefeld UAS, so that you can access your acceptance letter online and then go through the online matriculation process. A notice of rejection or exclusion will be sent to you by post. Therefore, please make sure to keep your address details in uni-assist updated at all times.


Application deadlines are 15 July of each year for the following winter semester and 15 January of each year for the following summer semester.

We wish you the best of luck!

General information on applications

The examination of certificates issued abroad is very complex and takes some time. We will contact you if any documents are missing or if you have any questions about your records.

Until an admission decision has been made, you can find information about offers for international students at Bielefeld UAS or about life in Germany in general on the International Office’s website.

If you have any questions or problems, please do not hesitate to contact us!