The current situation faces many students with financial challenges. In cooperation with KfW (Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau), the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung, BMBF) supports students in acute crisis due to the current pandemic situation for a limited time. The basic idea is that students can quickly obtain support in the form of a short-term loan, so that they will not have to give up their studies.
Who can apply for support?
On the one hand, the KfW study loan as a short-term loan is available to the group that was eligible for it in the past: Students aged 18–44 from all state-recognised universities in Germany who fulfil one of the following conditions:
- German citizen with a registered address in Germany
- Family members of a German citizen who reside with them in Germany and are registered here
- EU citizens who have been legally residing in Germany permanently for at least three years and are registered here
- Family members of such EU citizens who reside with them in Germany and are registered here
- Persons who have been educated in Germany and are registered here
International students – i.e. third-country nationals and EU citizens who have been in Germany for less than three years – can also take out the loan, provided that their primary residence is in Germany.
Please find information on the online application process for KfW loans at: https://www.bmbf.de/de/wissenswertes-zur-ueberbrueckungshilfe-fuer-studierende-11509.html