The KfW Student Loan is available to students of higher education institutions in Germany (18 to 44 years old) who meet one of the following requirements:
- German citizen with a registered address in Germany
- Family member of a German citizen who stays in Germany with him/her and is registered here
- EU citizen who has been a legal resident in Germany for at least three years and is registered here
- Family member of such an EU citizen who is staying in Germany with him/her and is registered here
- Bildungsinländer and registered in Germany
Foreign students - i.e. third-country nationals and EU citizens who have been living in Germany for less than three years - can also take advantage of the loan, provided they have their primary residence in Germany.